Monday, May 18, 2009

How does your garden grow?

BUSY.....BUSY......BUSY!
We have been doing all sorts of things that seem to keep us really busy these days. The sun has finally decided to make an appearance so we have been outside a lot.

A few weeks ago my dad helped me build some planter boxes so that I could have a small garden. For years we have had a good sized garden out at my aunt and uncle's house in Deming, but it just got to be too far to drive to try and keep up with a garden. So with a little encouragement from my sister-in-law (she has a beautiful garden also) this is what we have:
First we had to burn all the sticks and branches that were in the space where we wanted to put the garden
Then we took a trip to Home Depot to pick out the wood
Next we built the boxes (mostly my dad, I was trying to watch two kids, thanks dad!) Didn't get a picture of the finished boxes before I started on the dirt, woops!
Then came time to shovel load after load of dirt. This was the hardest part of the whole project.
Boxes pretty much filled. We had to put the ends on and do a little more dirt.
All finished and planted. We planted onion, carrots, radishes, garlic, red potato, tomato, green peppers, red peppers, beans, peas and corn.
And this is what it looks like today. Everything has popped up except the red potatoes.
Look closely and you can see little sprouts
Pea sprouts

I can't wait till we can walk out and pick fresh vegetables anytime we want to. Pray for sun!

6 comments:

BJ said...

Looks great! call me up when you get to the potatos. I LOVE red potatos!

Randi said...

Shanna I am so excited that you have a garden too! I planted my very own for the first time this year and I love watching it grow. My parents get a call anytime something pops up. I hope yours does well!

Grandma said...

this is so fabulous Shanna I love it you have done something I've wanted to do for years!

M. Harrison said...

Great looking garden! We planted a little bit of ours a couple weekends ago. It's still occasionally freezing at night down here though, so we haven't been able to put in the rest yet. We are sharing the space with another family in the ward...hopefully it will grow! Say Hi to your parents for us. We miss everyone.

Anonymous said...

Shanna!
Your garden is a lot greener than just a week or so that I was there! Congratulations, It looks great! I love the anticipation and excitement that comes with growing a garden. Plus, it's 100% truly organic. And we get ALL of the nutrients from our plants because we pick them when their fully ripe. And, the vegetables grow much bigger in a home garden than fron the store. Aren't gardens fun?!
Love ya, Amber

Anonymous said...

P.S.: I love that you're blogging again. I would look at your blog every stinkin' day waiting for your easter post to change...I was starting to get disgusted with easter :) And i'm pretty sure that's a sin! :)