Monday, July 6, 2009

Fireworks at Maritime Heritage Park

Note: this is not your average post, that's right this is Jonathan. I've taken over the blogging for today. Actually, Shanna is right beside me walking me through this.

On the 4th of July, Liz and Scott invited us to watch the fireworks with them at Maritime Heritage Park. This was my 1st year being able to watch the fireworks in a while, since I usually have to work. I was especially excited because this year I attempted to take pictures of fireworks using my canon rebel xsi. After we laid Jackson to bed, we took off to the park on my motorcycle, while Ma and Pa Jones stayed home to watch Jackson. When we arrived we met up with Liz and Scott and their friends Jonathan, Jessie, Jason, and Crystal. My wife did most of the socializing while I stood in the back and nerded out with my camera gear. I set up the tripod, and here are a few of the pictures that I took.

Warning: taking pictures of fireworks is pretty hard, at least for a newbie at the camera like me. Most of my pictures didn't turn out, these are a few that were halfway decent.

The kids in the back ground were playing with sparklers

I really like how the lights make a diamond shape when using long exposures.

Jessie drawing in the air with a sparkler

The first fire work shot of the evening.
This is the Death Star exploding.
This was the last shot of the night, I edited the picture so that the red smoke would look like an explosion of blood. That's something you won't see on my wife's girly blog. HA HA HA.

7 comments:

Library said...

You did great Jon. The biggest problem with photographing fireworks is you only get one chance a year to practice.

Liz said...

these are great jonathan! thanks for hanging out with us at the park. hopefully you'll have another chance next year!

Bonnie and Tyler said...

You are so funny~ "explosion of blood..." "Death Star exploding" haha. The pictures turned out great though. Glad you had a fun fourth!

Anonymous said...

What are you talking? Those are amazing pictures! I especially love the pictures of the sparkler writing. That's cool!

BJ said...

very cool! I love the long exposure shots too.I was excitied to photograph some fireworks this year too, but it turns out my family didn't want to go, so I still haven't gotten a chance to try it. I have some tips for you though, from one of the best photo sites/podcasts out there: tips from the top floor

check out episode 25 Lightning and fireworks http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/2005/06/17/tftf25-lightning-fireworks/

great work and its nice to hear from you on here!
and episode 355 shooting fireworks http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/2009/04/17/tfttf355-shooting-fireworks-tech-guy/

I had a black hat and everything, but I didn't get to try :(

mdfergi said...

I think you did great with the pics! I love firework shows!

And before I forget, www.sugardoodle.net is the site!

Grandma said...

Wow Jonathan this is wonderful!, you could've had all of those pictures in the comfort of the boat and nobody in your way and a tripod on the deck would be solid. Maybe next year.